The IAGD Foundation
We are shaping the future of the Earth sciences.
Are YOU ready to make an impact?
Advancing access and inclusion in the geosciences for individuals with disabilities through the development of innovative research and instruction.
Did you know?
- The IAGD is a non-profit organization managed by an Executive Committee composed of volunteers. 100% of all donations support the IAGD activities and programs.
- The IAGD leads accessible field trips and courses that have supported students and faculty with disabilities?
- The IAGD offers professional development workshops to help K12 teachers, as well as instructors and teaching assistants in higher education, develop instructional strategies for engaging and including all students in their classrooms.
- IAGD members throughout the U.S. and in over 25 countries around the world are working to broaden participation in the geosciences through accessible learning opportunities and career pathways.
- The IAGD provides a network of resources, social and academic support, and mentoring specifically aimed at helping students to successfully navigate certificate and degree programs, leading to accessible employment in the geoscience industry.
The primary objectives of the IAGD Foundation are to:
- Foster the development of after-school and informal programs that focus on accessible earth science instruction for students with disabilities
- Facilitate the participation of students and scholars with disabilities in the discipline through research seed funding, graduate student fellowships and travel support to attend and present at regional and national meetings.
- Enhance the current IAGD inclusive instruction training program by developing new resources and content modules, and offering the workshops more frequently at regional locations.
- Establish awards and recognition that include, for example, a best student research award and a faculty awards for fostering access and inclusion within their instruction and research
Donations can be received in several ways:
Become a monthly or annual partner! Help support the IAGD throughout the year! Contribute to the IAGD through employer-matching gifts, donor-advised funds, and fundraising campaigns.
Or, support the IAGD with your time, energy and experience! We are always looking for partners to help develop and promote the IAGD Foundation.
Support of the IAGD Foundation is tax-deductible. A receipt will be provided for all donations.
IAGD EIN # 47-2904005
History of the IAGD Foundation
Founded in 2008 as a national advisory group to encourage accessible geoscience instruction, the IAGD began spearheading awareness of improving access, accommodation, and inclusion for students, faculty, and geoscientists with disabilities in the geosciences. In January of 2013, after the advisory began expanding into the global community, the International Association for Geoscience Diversity (IAGD) officially formed with membership approved Constitution and Bylaws, and an elected Executive Committee.
Today, IAGD network is based in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, and is composed of higher education faculty, staff and students, geoscience industry representatives, disabilities education researchers and anyone interested in fostering accessible science. Since 2008, this network has expanded across the United States, into over 25 different countries, and is recognized by many international geoscience and science education organizations. The IAGD Mission remains the same: to promote communities of research, instruction, and student support that improves access to the geosciences for individuals with disabilities. This allows the IAGD to be instrumental in fostering the development of inclusively designed instructional strategies and accessible training opportunities that will ultimately minimize the barriers to the geoscience workforce.
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015, the IAGD Foundation was officially registered as a non-profit 501(C)(3) organization.
The IAGD Executive Committee has a current opening for the Director of the IAGD Foundation. All interest and inquiries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The IAGD is currently seeking corporate sponsorship to achieve our foundation goals. IAGD sponsors will receive international recognition through the naming of awards and initiatives that promote outstanding achievements in scholarship and service that promote the advancement of access and inclusion in the geoscience profession. For more information about sponsoring the IAGD Foundation, please contact IAGD Director, Dr. Chris Atchison at email@example.com, or 1+513-556-3613.